Very carefully. If you haven't selected your company name, finding a domain name should play a big part in determining what your final organization name is, because it doesn't do any good to have a great name but someone already owns the obvious domain name (which also means the name is not unique). You need an organization name with an available domain name if possible. Here are a couple of points to keep in mind:
- It should be obvious what sort of site it points to.
- It should contain your organization name or some identifying descriptive word that makes you unique.
- It should be as short as possible.
- It should be memorable.
- It should not have difficult or alternative spelling that is hard to type.
- You should be able to purchase at least the .com and .net versions of the domain. You do not want people mistakenly going to someone else's site just because you only own one of the versions.
- It should not be easily confused with a competitors domain.
- Consider including short adjectives or modifying nouns, e.g. gutensite.com
We are glad to offer our consulting and marketing services if you need suggestions or want to run some ideas past us. Just let us know.