The Communities page allows you to paste the embed code for a custom Google Map. This way, you'll still have the functionality of the map, but still be able to outline the boundaries of the community.
Here are the instructions for creating a custom Google Map:
- On your computer, sign in to My Maps.
- Click Create a new map.
- Go to the top left and click "Untitled map."
- Give your map a name and description.
- Enter an address in the search bar at the top of the page.
- Zoom out to make sure you can see the entire community area on the map.
- Click the button below the search bar that looks like an incomplete triangle. (If you hold your mouse over the button, it says Draw a Line.)
- Find a good place to start, then click the map to make a point.
- Use the draw tool to create the shape of the neighborhood.
- Once all of the lines have connected, the label will read "Polygon 1". You can rename this if you'd like, or not.
- If the line isn't quite where you want it, click on one of the dots and drag the line to the new location.
- When you have the area drawn out, click on the Share button underneath the map's name on the upper left.
- Change the access to Public.
Once the map has been completed, you can obtain the embed code. Click on the three dots next to the map's name, then select "Embed on my site".
A pop-up will appear with the <iframe> tag.
Next, go to the Gutensite Control Panel --> Content --> Communities
Edit the desired community entry, then switch to the Multimedia tab.
Paste the <iframe> into the Custom Map field.
Please sign in to leave a comment.